Friday, June 17, 2011

Are you serious?

Today was my 2nd ultrasound, to confirm or deny whether or not this last course of Femara had worked for me.

When we were at the doctor's on Wednesday we had debated over whether or not to go today, and I decided to go, only because I felt like the "what if's" would drive me crazy if I didn't go. The doctor also suggested that we decide whether we wanted to do another month of Femara, or if we wanted to go on to injections and not waste any more time on Femara. At first my husband and I thought another round of Femara was what we wanted to do, but after discussing it further, we decided that we wanted to pass on another round of Femara and instead go straight to the injections.

So as I headed off to my appointment today I had it all planned out. I went alone today - because my husband only works half days on Fridays and the office is closer to where we work than where we live, and since gas isn't all that cheap, and his truck drinks gas like it's water, I told him he could stay home, not to bother driving out for the appointment, that I would get all the needed information. Well, I had a different doctor for my ultrasound than I normally have, and I also had a medical student in there, as well as a nurse (the fertility clinic I go to is part of a medical school), but they were all super nice, as everyone I meet there is. When the doctor did the ultrasound she commented on how full my bladder was - and then she told me that I had 2 follicles - a 13 mm and a 16 mm - to which my response was, "are you serious?" and then she checked my other side, and told me I had a 9 mm follicle on that side. Oh. my. goodness. On Wednesday I was so disappointed that I nearly cried. Today I was so happy that I did cry! I was in total shock and felt like I was being pranked or something. But it was real! She told me she wanted to give them some time ti keep growing, so on Sunday I'll do my trigger shot and Tuesday morning I'll have my first (and hopefully last) IUI in hopes of making baby number one! :) My husband was thrilled when I called to tell him the news - I could barely talk because I was afraid of sobbing uncontrollably - and very upset with himself that he didn't go with me. Now, I know this IUI might not work, but I am so happy that I went back today... because if I hadn't gone back today we would not have known that this dosage of Femara did in fact work, and we would have gone on to injections. Which would have been more time waiting, more money spent, etc, etc, etc.

And the doctor today told me that in the future, since I have poly cystic ovaries and because I am young, that it is normal for me to ovulate later in my cycles, so I should always insist on having an appointment on day 12 or 13 in order to avoid what happened this time around. I thought that was great advice, and I will definitely follow it (although, I did tell the women who made my appointment that I was told to go in on days 12 or 13, but since there were no openings, she had to give me my original appointment on day 11). So yes, I am very happy and very excited and somewhat nervous. I'm sure my nerves will be super high on Tuesday, but for now I'm still reeling from the shock of the complete turn in events. Definitely did not see that coming!

So I am one happy girl tonight! :)

- Honeybee

2 comments:

  1. Isnt it fantastic when things ACTUALLY work out??? :) YAY for follicles!!! Wishing you so much luck with your IUI :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping that this IUI is The One and that you don't have to move on to injections.

    BUT if you do. . . . I have a Follistim pen that needs a good home. (Not the medication, just the pen you need to administer it.) If you end up needing/wanting it, email me at the address in my blogger profile.

    ReplyDelete